Sunday 17 June 2007

Sunday, June 17

Today I visited a church in Anaheim. It wasn't a very friendly church, so I won't post it's name on the internet. :-) I am going back tonight to give them a 2nd chance - I think.

One great thing about the church, though, was their bookstore. It was kind of weak on it's music selection, but it had a selection of books that I haven't been able to find in our bookstores in Hawaii. I picked up one entitled, "When the Spirit Comes With Power." by John White. I will probably write more about it later, but so far I am pretty impressed. Here are a couple of my favorite quotes so far.

"Why do many people who pray earnestly for a visitation from God reject what he sends because they find it offensive?"

"From a safe distance of several hundred years or several thousand miles, revival clearly looks invigorating. What could be more glorious than a mighty work of God in our midst, renewing thousands and converting tens of thousands."

"But when we actually look at a revival (either through close historical study or firsthand investigation) we find something not nearly so clear as we imagined. There is sin and infighting and doctrinal error. And if we find ourselves in the midst of revival, rather than being invigorated, we may be filled with skepticism, disgust, andger or even fear. Why does our expectation not match the reality? Why is revival sometimes so messy?"

"One reason is that revival is war."

I will stop there. Good stuff that makes fodder for thought . . .

No comments: