Monday 18 June 2007

More of Sunday, June 17

Well, I returned to the not-so-visitor-friendly church for the evening service. People were still not real anxious to talk to me, but I forced a couple of them into a conversation. Talk about humbling! The service was nice, however. They were having a worship night and the woman leading worship, I think her name was Sarah, appeared to be quite annointed. She reminded me of Carolyn; so much so that I thought of asking Carolyn if she had ever considered leading worship. :-) I also really enjoyed the way they stopped for times of silence. It was clear that the congregation had been trained not to fear silence and to use it as a time to listen to God. A couple of people read out scripture that God had placed on their hearts and one person just started praying aloud. I liked that part of the service.

I met a lady, Joy, who was new to the church after the service. We talked for a few moments and then she let me pray for her. That was fun, but my favorite moment came as I exited the church. A woman and her baby were just outside the door asking for money. I gave them a couple of dollar and talked to them for a few moments. It was clear that English was not their first language. Then I got to pray for them. I remember thinking as I walked to my car, "I got to see Jesus today." (Refering to a scripture in Matthew.)

No comments: